1. QUALIFICATIONS: All applicants must (a) hold a West Virginia professional administrative certificate endorsed for superintendent, or (b) hold or be eligible for a first class permit endorsed for superintendent, or (c) possess an earned doctorate from an accredited institution of higher education, and either have completed three successful years of teaching in public education or have the equivalent of three years in management or supervision as defined by the West Virginia Board of Education (in which case, upon employment, they shall be granted a permanent administrative certificate and be a licensed superintendent), or have been employed by a West Virginia county board of education as assistant superintendent for educational administrator prior to June 27, 1988, and previously as superintendent of schools. The above -stated qualifications are minimum qualifications. Consideration shall be afforded to applicants who possess qualifications that meet and exceed the minimum requirements for the position. After the successful candidate is chosen by the Board, he or she will be required, as a condition of employment, to file with the Board's President the tuberculosis certifications required by West Virginia Code §18-4-2. Applicants should not submit these certifications with their application.
2. RESIDENCY: The applicant (finalist) who is awarded the position must, during her or his tenure as superintendent, satisfy the statuary residency requirement for county superintendent, which requires that he or she be a resident of Mason County or a contiguous county in West Virginia.
3. DUTIES: As established by West Virginia Code §18-4-1, §18-4-11.
4. TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: A written contract for a period of one- to four-years shall be issued in accordance with West Virginia Code §18-4-1, et. seq.
5. SALARY: Negotiable, commensurate upon qualifications and experience.
6. BENEFITS: The Mason County Board of Education makes available to all qualifying employees certain benefits. The superintendent may participate and receive these benefits upon the same terms and conditions that apply to other employees. Benefits include: Medical insurance, optical insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, paid personal leave, Social Security, Workers' Compensation, retirement, Unemployment Compensation, sick leave bank and six (6) Outside School Environment (OSE) Days with pay. Provision of other benefits is subject to favorable negotiations with Mason County Board of Education. As per state Code, school employees are insured against certain action through the West Virginia Board of Risk and Insurance Management (BRIM) subject to the agency's policies and procedures.
7. APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
(a) Submit letter expressing interest in position.
(b) Complete Application Form which is available by visiting www.wvsba.org or by telephoning 304.346.0571. Website completion may be preferable in terms of convenience, but not required.
(c) Please do not forward any letters of recommendation unless or until requested by the Mason County Board of Education as part of its search process.
(d) Forward all items (a, b, c) to:
Mason County Superintendent Search
C/o West Virginia School Board Association
Post Office Box 1008
Charleston, WV 25324
8. ASSOCIATION'S ROLE: The West Virginia School Board Association's (WVSBA) role in this search and selection process includes (a) making available, through various venues and formats, information regarding the position vacancy, including how one may apply for the position, (b) gathering of search-process generated information, including letters of application and related items, for submission to the county board, (c) establishing various venues, procedures and processes for interview and final selection of candidates for finalists for the position of county schools superintendent, (d) preparing, for board approval, items to be included in any final contract and, if approved by the board under separate agreement with the association, preparing a contract for the successful applicant/finalist having been appointed by the county board, (e) completing, to the satisfaction of the county board, such other duties, responsibilities and attendant services as may be agreed upon by the Mason County Board of Education and the Association.
In fulfilling its role, as described in the foregoing paragraph, the Association shall strive to remain neutral with respect to the candidacy of any applicant or finalist for the superintendent position. The Association will not sponsor or promote any candidate. Nor will the association advocate against any candidate(s) or finalist(s). The evaluation of any candidate(s) or finalist(s) qualifications is an exclusive function of the Mason County Board of Education.
9. CONTACTING OF MEMBERS: As requested by the Board, please refrain from contacting Mason County Board of Education Members in context of the selection process.
10. DISCLOSURE OF APPLICANT'S NAMES: The Board reserves the right to disclose the identities of the applicants for this position in the context of the selection procedure. Such disclosure may, for example, result from public interviews, other public forums where public input and comment may be solicited, or in response to requests made under the West Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
11. POSTED: March 27, 2009.
12. DEADLINE: Deadline for receipt of application and letter of interest in position is 4:00 p.m., Friday, April 15, 2009.
13. NON-DISCRIMINATION: As required by Federal laws and regulations, the Mason County Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age or national origin in employment or in the administration of any of its educational programs and activities.
©2007 West Virginia School Boards Association. Website by Dream Catcher.